The empirical formula is H2C2O4CH2H2O
Oxalic acid is easily soluble in water and alcohol. This relatively strong organic acid (hazard class III), NOOC-COOH, is a colorless hygroscopic crystal, readily soluble in water, limited in ethyl alcohol and diethyl ether, insoluble in chloroform, petroleum ether and benzene. Forms dehydrate of the composition C2H2O4*2H2O. The combustible substance, in the settled state is fire dangerous. It has a strong irritant effect on the skin on the mucous membranes of the eyes and upper respiratory tract. Oxalic acid has the chemical properties and characteristic of carboxylic acids, forming two series of derivatives. Salts and esters of oxalic acid are called oxalates. Oxalic acid forms acidic and averages esters, amides, acid chloride. Oxalic acid is found in sorrel and rhubarb in the form of potassium oxalate.
Areas of application of oxalic acid and its salts (oxalates):
- In the chemical industry (organic synthesis, in the production of plastics, inks, in the synthesis of dyes, as a component of pyrotechnic compounds);
- In chemical metallurgy (as a component of compositions for cleaning metals from rust, scale, oxides);
- In analytical chemistry (as an expert in rare-earth elements);
- In microscopy (as bleaching agent for slices);
- In the textile and leather industry (mordant in printing and dyeing of wool and silk, with tanning of the skin);
- In the production of synthetic detergents (as a bleaching and disinfectant, means for cleaning and removing urinary stone, salts of stiffness and rust);
- In cosmetics (as an active additive in whitening creams and creams from freckles);
- In water treatment systems (chemical method of cleaning and reducing water hardness, cleaning of coolants at nuclear power plants); Use in medicine and in pharmaceutics.
Oxalic acid - a strong organic acid, in large quantities can cause irritation of the mucous membranes of the esophagus, stomach, intestines, respiratory tract and skin. During work with oxalic acid, PPE should be used.
Shelf life: 3 years.
Oxalic acid (oxolate) China dry bag 25 kg
- Product Code: 56
- Availability: In Stock